Thursday 10 June 2010

Breast Cancer

A friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer recently and the news jolted me from my reverie. She is a close friend and has helped me a lot, and I was at a loss on what to do, what to say and so on. I wanted to comfort her, but I don't know how. So, I did what I do best. I took her out shopping and dining. I don't know if she was comforted or not, but I didn't want her to be alone and I wanted her to know that I am around, if ever she needs me... I don't pretend to know what she is going through, but I know it must be rough.

She had the operation done this morning and spent a few hours there. I wasn't able to accompany her as I am currently in JB and the op was done in KL. But a couple of our friends were there so I was glad she was not alone. I was also dreading the news after the op. Has the cancer spread? Or not? What stage is she in? And finally I got my answer - her lymph nodes are all clear. Alhamdulillah... Next stage? Probably radiation therapy. Another challenge but fear not dear, we are here to support you.

So to all women out there, get your mammogram done asap. I am going to get mine done as soon as I am back in KL. It is better to know than not knowing at all. Btw, here is one article about breast cancer - click here, so happy reading.


No comments: